FICA is a four-letter acronym — short for Federal Income Protection Act. One of the impacts of this act on small businesses is that it requires that employers withhold (deduct) specific amounts for Social Security and Medicare from their employees' paychecks. This has to happen every time payroll is processed, which can be a challenge to administer, as we delve into in this article, written for Small Business Bonfire.
What Every Startup Should Know About Payroll
Getting your startup off the ground is hard, which is why you are so careful in who you hire. Subsequently,...
Error - something went wrong!
Other content in this Stream
3 Payroll Nightmares You Might Have This Halloween
Best Payroll Tools: Build a Smart HR Workflow for SMBs [Infographic]
Looking for the best payroll tools for your small business? Or a stack of online payroll tools that work together seamlessly? These tools build a smart hr workflow that's easy to manage.
How to Read a Paycheck — The Easy Way [Infographic]
Paycheck vs pay stub, total pay vs net pay, contributions vs deductions and who is FICA anyhow? This simple infographic answers your questions and explains how to read a paycheck.
How to Find Great Freelancers — The Easy Way
More and more small businesses are using freelancers for specific skills and projects. Find out where to begin and how to find the right freelancer. Includes a list of the top freelance sites.
Accountants Versus Bookkeepers — What Every Small Business Should Know
While it's common to mention accountants and bookkeepers in the same breath, it's important to know that each is its own professional designation with specific roles and responsibilities.
The Taxes You Pay as a Sole Proprietor [Mini Guide]
If you're a sole proprietor, you have to pay income and businses taxes, payroll or self-employment taxes and perhaps, if applicable, excise taxes. Find out how this all works.
5 Tax-Time Resources for Small Business Owners [Pointers and Tips Included]
During tax season, small business owners are scrambling for time and helpful resources. Learn about five resources that can help keep your business taxes on track.
How Payroll Affects Your Business Taxes [Plus Tips to Make Tax Season Easier]
Tax season is a complicated time for small business. This article for the Fundera Ledger explains how payroll year-end affects your overall small business taxes — and which on you should do first.
How Payroll, Time Tracking and Scheduling Empower Restaurant Managers and Employees
In a guest post for Simple Order, Wagepoint explains the ways in which payroll, time tracking and scheduling apps help restaurant managers and their employees.
Wagepoint Product Updates (CA & US) April 2018
What are the latest updates to Wagepoint's payroll software? This update will tell you about new improvements and features within in the main app as well as for Canada and the United States.
How to File Taxes as a Self-Employed Sole Proprietor
Self-employed and a sole proprietor? If so, here's what you'll need to know as you file your business taxes with your personal taxes using a Schedule C along with your 1040.
10 Tax Deductions Every Startup Should Know
As a startup, it's hard to know where to start at tax time. This list will tell you about 10 tax deductions that your startup can use to lower your tax bill.
What Every Startup Should Know About Payroll
Getting your startup off the ground is hard, which is why you are so careful in who you hire. Subsequently, you also want to have the right payroll system in place to pay people accurately and on time
4 Ways to Make the Most of Your Business Credit Card Rewards
You know it's a best practice to have a specific credit card just for your business, but did you know the rewards these cards offer can also boost your bottom line?
Product Updates - September 2017
What are the latest updates to Wagepoint's payroll software? This post will tell you the updates in the main app as well as for Canada and the United States.
The Two Methods for Claiming Home Office Deductions
Learn the difference between the simplified and standard methods and how to figure out which method is best for your small business or startup.
How to Make Small Business Bookkeeping Easier
Small business bookkeeping doesn't have to be scary, especially when you know a few simple steps on where to start.
What Every Payroll Compliance Checklist Should Include
A payroll compliance checklist is a simple way to ensure that you're crossing all your t's and dotting all your i's. This article will tell you all the things that should be on your list.
Preparing Yourself for the Cost of Employees
The salary or wages you pay an employee are only 70% of the total cost of having an employee. The other 30% comes from paid benefits. Learn more about the employer's responsibilities and these costs.
Giving an Employee Bonus — What You Need to Know [Infographic Included]